Place:


Emneth  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Emneth like this:

EMNETH, a parish in the district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk; on the verge of the county, the Wisbeach canal, and the Wisbeach and Lynn railway, 2¼ miles SE of Wisbeach. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wisbeach. Acres, 3, 449. Real property, £8, 530. ...


Pop., 1, 023. Houses, 247. The surface is fenny. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is ancient; has a square tower; and contains an altar-tomb of Sir Thomas Howard. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and U. Free Methodists. There is also a town land charity of 1¼ acre.

Emneth through time

Emneth is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Emneth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Emneth in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5818

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Emneth ".