Place:


Northill  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northill like this:

NORTHILL, a village, a township, and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands near the river Ivel, 3 miles S W of Sandy r. station, and 4 W N W of Biggleswade; and has a post-office under Biggleswade. The township contains also the hamlet of Ickwell. Pop., 523. Houses, 109. The parish contains likewise the hamlets of Thorncote, Brookend, Upper Caldicott, Lower Caldicott, and part of Beeston. ...


Acres, 4, 210. Real property, exclusive of the part of Beeston, £7, 339; inclusive of all Beeston, £11, 140. Pop. of the parish, 1, 366. Houses, 291. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. Harvey, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £530.* Patrons, the Grocers' Company, London. The church is ancient and very fine; was recently restored, at a cost of £2,000; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and was made collegiate, in the time of Henry IV., by the Tralleys. A brick church was built in 1867at Upper Caldicott. There are two national schools, and charities £55.

Northill through time

Northill is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northill in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5805

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northill ".