Place:


Thursley  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thursley like this:

THURSLEY, a parish, with a village, in Hambledon district, Surrey; 3½ miles W of Witley r. station, and 5½ SW of Godalming. It has a post-office under Godalming. Acres, 4,348. Real property, £2,968. Pop., 505. Houses, 153. Cosford House is the seat of Col. Hare. The parish itself, and Thunder hill, not far from the village, are believed to have got their name from associations with The Scandinavian deity Thor or Thunor. ...


The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £85. Patron, the Rev. J. Chandler. The church was restored in 1842. There are an Independent chapel of 1865, a national school, and charities £8.

Thursley through time

Thursley is now part of Waverley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waverley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thursley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thursley, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5798

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thursley ".