Place:


Horwood  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horwood like this:

HORWOOD, a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon; near the river Torridge, 3 miles NE of Bideford r. station. Post town, Bideford. Acres, 860. Real property, £906. Pop., 109. Houses, 20. The property is divided among three. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £157. * Patron, the Rev. A. Dene. The church is ancient but good; has a low turreted tower; and contains monuments of the Denes, the Rolles, and the Pollards.

Horwood through time

Horwood is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horwood in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5790

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horwood ".