Place:


Llanfihangel Tal Y Llyn  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Tal Y Llyn like this:

LLANFIHANGEL-TAL-Y-LLYN, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; on the Hereford and Brecon railway, and on Llyn-Savaddan lake, 5 miles E of Brecon. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 1,233. Real property, £1,305. Pop., 149. Houses, 36. The manor belonged to Bernard Newmarch; passed to the Walwyns, the Wynters, the Phillipses, and others; and belongs now to the Bolds of Hamlin Hall. ...


L1yn-Savaddan lake is about 2 miles long, and 1 mile wide; and affords good fishing in perch, pike, and other fish. The name Tal-y-Llyn signifies ''the head of the lake. ''The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £158. Patron, the Rev. Hugh Bold.

Llanfihangel Tal Y Llyn through time

Llanfihangel Tal Y Llyn is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfihangel Tal Y Llyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfihangel Tal Y Llyn, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5765

Date accessed: 24th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfihangel Tal Y Llyn ".