Place:


Colebrooke  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colebrooke like this:

COLEBROOKE, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; on the North Devon railway, 2 miles SSE of Copplestone r. station, and 4 W by N of Crediton. It includes the villages of Copplestone and Coleford, and the post office of Copplestone, North Devon. Acres, 4, 989. Real property, £5, 471. Pop., 802. ...


Houses, 182. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to A. Coryton, Esq. Coombe House is the seat of the family of Lillifant; and Paschoe House, a handsome new Tudor mansion, is the seat of the family of Hughs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £200.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is partly early English, partly perpendicular; and consists of nave, chancel, transept, and aisle. There were formerly five chapelries; and a beautiful archway gate of the one at Whelmstone still stands. Charities, £8.

Colebrooke through time

Colebrooke is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colebrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colebrooke in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5763

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colebrooke ".