In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cellan like this:
CELLAN, or Kellan, a parish in Lampeter district, Cardigan: on the river Teifi, 3 miles NE of Lampeter r. station, and 14 NW of Llandovery. Post Town, Lampeter, under Carmarthen. Acres, 3,645. Real property, £1,184. Pop., 532. Houses, 128. An ancient road, British and Roman, passed through; and numerous antiquities exist, including cairns, camps, standing-stones, the Bedd-y-Vorwyn or Virgin's Grave, and the Llech-Cynon, an enormous stone on an artificial circular tumulus. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £83.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Davids. The church has an ancient font. The Rev. M. Williams, the antiquary, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cellan has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cellan and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cellan, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cellan".