Place:


Crosthwaite  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crosthwaite like this:

CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH, a chapelry in Heversham parish, Westmoreland; on an affluent of the river Kent, under Whitbarrow fell, 4½ miles W by S of Kendal r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Crosthwaite, under Milnthorpe. Acres, 7, 956; of which 76 are water. Real property, £6, 765. ...


Pop., 740. Houses, 134. The property is much divided. There are lime-kilns, a paper-mill, and a hoop-manufactory. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £113. Patrons, the Landowners. The church is old but good. A school has £52 from endowment; and other charities £182.

Crosthwaite through time

Crosthwaite is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crosthwaite itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crosthwaite, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5753

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crosthwaite ".