Place:


Pencombe  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pencombe like this:

PENCOMBE, a village and a parish in Bromyard district, Hereford. The village stands 4 miles W S W of Bromyard, and 6 E of Dinmore r. station; and has a post-office under Worcester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Marstone-Stannett, and comprises 4, 590 acres. Real property, £4, 276. ...


Pop., 415. Houses, 76. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. H. Arkwright, Esq. About 302 acres are usually underhops. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £600.* Patron, J. H. Arkwright, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1865, at a cost of £3, 232; is in the transition Norman style; and consists of nave, chancel, and apse, with vestry, S porch, and S E tower. The p. curacy of Marstone-Stannett is a separate benefice.

Pencombe through time

Pencombe is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pencombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pencombe in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5719

Date accessed: 19th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pencombe ".