In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welsh Newton like this:
NEWTON (Welsh), a parish, with a village, in the district of Monmouth and county of Hereford; adjacent to Monmouthshire, 3½ miles N by W of Monmouth r.station. Post-town, Monmouth. Acres, 1,821. Real property, £1, 785. Pop., 226. Houses, 54. The living.is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £47. Patron, Sir J. Bailey.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Welsh Newton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Welsh Newton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welsh Newton in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Welsh Newton".