In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West End like this:
WESTEND, a chapelry in South Stoneham parish, Hants; near Portswood r. station, and 3¼ miles NNE of Southampton. It was constituted in 1840; and it has a post-office under Southampton. Pop., 2,141. Houses, 418. There is a paper-mill. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £330. Patron, the Rector of Southampton-St. Mary.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West End has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eastleigh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West End and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West End, in Eastleigh and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West End".