Place:


Dorstone  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dorstone like this:

DORSTONE, a village, two townships, and a parish in the district of Hay and county of Hereford. The village stands on the river Dore, near the Hereford and Brecon railway, 5½ miles E of Hay; and has fairs on 27 April, 18 May, 27 Sep., and 18 Nov. The townships are Upper and Lower Dorstone; and lie around the village. ...


The parish includes also part of the township of Vow-mine. Post town, Bredwardine, under Hereford. Acres, 5, 385. Real property, £4, 354. Pop., 547. Houses, 120. The property is divided among a few. A castle stood anciently at the village, and another at Snodhill. A stone column, thought by some to be Druidical, crowns a hill near the village, and is seen at a considerable dis-tance. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £446.* Patron, the Rev. T. Powell. The church is old and good; and was originally Norman. Charities, £81.

Dorstone through time

Dorstone is now part of Herefordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Herefordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dorstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dorstone in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5666

Date accessed: 24th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dorstone ".