Place:


Upottery  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upottery like this:

UPOTTERY, a village and a parish in Honiton district, Devon. The village stands on the river Otter, 5 miles NNE of Honiton r. station; and has a post-office under Honiton, and a cattle fair on 17 Oct. The parish includes Rawridge tything, and comprises 5,830 acres. Real property, £6,806. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1,042; in 1861, 940. Houses, 208. The manor, with U. House and about two-thirds of the property, belongs to Viscount Sidmonth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £392.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of E. The church is ancient but good. There are Independent and Baptist chapels, a national school, and charities £17.

Upottery through time

Upottery is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upottery itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upottery in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5661

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upottery ".