Place:


Shorwell  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shorwell like this:

SHORWELL, a village and a parish in the Isle of Wight. The village stands in a richly-wooded hollow, at the mouth of a transverse valley of the chalk range, 4¾ miles SW by S of Newport r. station; is a pretty place, with some fine old genteel residences; and has a post-office under Newport, Isle of Wight. ...


The parish contains five tythings, and extends to the S coast. Acres, 3,685; of which 40 are water. Real property, £5,303. Pop., 612. Houses, 113. The manor was given, in the time of Henry III., to Laycock abbey in Wilts; passed to the Leighs, the Bulls, the Bennets, and the Gordons; and, with North Court, belongs now to Sir H. P. Gordon, Bart. Woolverton was long a principal mansion; but is now represented by a farmhouse. The living is two-fold, a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Winchester. The vicarage is annexed to Mottiston; and the rectory is a separate benefice, of the value of £469 a year, in the patronage of the Rev. E. Walsh. The church is of the time of Edward III. There are a national school, and charities £84.

Shorwell through time

Shorwell is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shorwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shorwell, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5649

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shorwell ".