Place:


Perranarworthal  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Perranarworthal like this:

PERRANARWORTHAL, a village and a parish in Falmouth district, Cornwall. The village stands in adeep dell, at the head of Restronguet creek, and at themouth of the Kennal rivulet, near Perranwell r. station, and 3¼ miles N by W of Penryn; is sometimes called Perran-Wharf; and has a post-office, designated Perranar-worthal, Cornwall. ...


The parish contains also the village of Perranwell, and comprises 1, 796 acres. Real property, £2, 710; of which £135 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 1, 634; in 1861, 1, 517. Houses, 323. The manor belonged formerly to the Mohuns and the Pendarveses, and belongs now to J. Bassett, Esq. The dell around the village is densely wooded; presents a delightful contrastto the rough adjacent hills; and presents the additionalfeature of a large iron-foundry. The minerals include lead, tin, and arsenic; and there is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stithians, in the diocese of Cornwall. The church isdedicated to St. Piran, the patron of tinners; and aspring, called St. Piran's well, is in the vicinity. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, and amechanics' institution.

Perranarworthal through time

Perranarworthal is now part of Carrick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carrick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Perranarworthal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Perranarworthal, in Carrick and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5635

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Perranarworthal ".