Place:


Madingley  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Madingley like this:

MADINGLEY, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; adjacent to the Via Devana, 5 miles WNW of Cambridge r. station. Post town, Cambridge. Acres, 1,163. Real property £2,252. Pop 279. Houses 58. The Manor House, an old brick structure, was the seat of the Cotton family, and is now the residence of Lady King. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £120. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is a neat edifice, with later English spire. There is a recently erected national school.

Madingley through time

Madingley is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Madingley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Madingley in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5634

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Madingley ".