Place:


Rainford  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rainford like this:

RAINFORD, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Prescot parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the Ormskirk and St. Helens railway, 1 mile S S E of that railway 's intersection by the Liverpool and Wigan railway, and 4¼ miles N W by N of St. Helens; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under St. ...


Helens. The chapelry comprises 5, 803 acres. Real property, £12, 623; of which £3, 280 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2, 333; in 1861, 2, 784. Houses, 478. The increase of pop. arose from the opening of new collieries. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. R. Hall, Mount Pleasant, and the Rookery are chief residences. Much of the land is reclaimed morass. Tobacco-pipemaking is largely carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £135.* Patron, the Vicar of Prescot. The church is a plain building, with abelfry. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school for boys, and a national school for girls. The sub-district is conterminate with the chapelry.

Rainford through time

Rainford is now part of St Helens district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Helens has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rainford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rainford, in St Helens and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/560

Date accessed: 20th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rainford ".