In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farringdon like this:
FARINGDON, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands 3 miles SSE of Broad Clist r. station, and 5½ ESE of Exeter: was formerly known as Ferendon; and is a small scattered place. The parish includes part of Clis-Satchfield tything; and its post town is Topsham, under Exeter. Acres, 2, 015. Real property, £4, 257. Pop., 331. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of Henry III., to Adam de Ferendon; and belongs now to J. Garrat, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £262.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is of the 14th century; consists of nave, chancel, and north transept, with western embattled tower; contains some fine monuments; and is good. Charities, £7.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Farringdon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Farringdon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farringdon in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Farringdon".