Place:


Addington  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Addington like this:

ADDINGTON, a village and a parish in Croydon district, Surrey. The village stands on the verge of the county, 3 miles ESE of Croydon r. station; and has a post office under Croydon. Tradition asserts it to have been anciently a place of some note. The parish comprises 3,900 acres. Real property, £4,148. ...


Pop., 639. Houses, 122. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to his cook Tezelin, to be held on the tenure of presenting a mess of pottage to the king at his coronation; and it passed, with its curious tenure, in 1807, to the Archbishop of Canterbury. The mansion on it was built about 1780 by Alderman Trecothick, and improved in 1830 by Archbishop Howley. The higher ground of the park, and the hills above them, command fine views. About twenty-five tumuli, or remains of tumuli, altered by having been opened, occur on a common above the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £206. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is ancient, but was renovated in 1848; and it shows the late Norman style in the interior, and contains monuments and brasses. There are a national school, and charities £6.

Addington through time

Addington is now part of Croydon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Croydon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Addington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Addington, in Croydon and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5589

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Addington ".