Place:


Hindolveston  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hindolveston like this:

HINDOLVESTON, or HILDERSTON, a village and a parish in Aylsham district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Bure, 3 miles N of Foulsham, and 5 ENE of Ryburgh r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Hindolveston, under Thetford. The parish comprises 2, 490 acres. Real property, £4, 682. ...


Pop., 705. Houses, 164. The property is chiefly divided between two. The manor is held by Lord Hastings, as lessee of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £76. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and is old but good. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £53.

Hindolveston through time

Hindolveston is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hindolveston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hindolveston in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5586

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hindolveston ".