Place:


East Hendred  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Hendred like this:

HENDRED (EAST or GREAT), a village and a parish in Wantage district, Berks. The village stands near a small affluent of the river Thames, 2 miles S by W of Steventon r. station, 2¾ N of the Ridge way, and 4¼ E by N of Wantage; was formerly a market town, and a seat of cloth manufacture; is now a picturesque and interesting place; and has a post office, ‡ of the name of East Hendred, under Wantage, and a fair on 12 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 3, 099 acres. Real property, £5, 432. Pop., 889. Houses, 186. The property is divided among a few; and formerly belonged chiefly to the abbeys of Sheen, Reading, and Abingdon. Hendred House is the seat of Charles Eyston, Esq.; has belonged to his family since the 13th century; is adorned with ancient monograms; and contains relics and memorials of Sir Thomas More. A chapel, called the chapel of St. Amand, is attached to the mansion; dates from about the year 1291; has always, like only other two chapels in England, been used for Roman Catholic worship; and is of early English architecture, with very thick walls. Remains of a monastery connected with Sheen abbey, and comprising a later English chapel and a small monastic house, now used as a granary, are at the entrance of the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £550.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient; was rebuilt and enlarged in 1861; has an embattled tower, with ancient chimes; and contains a lectern of the 13th century, and several ancient brasses. There are church schools, built in 1859, and charities £110. Two abbots of Abingdon were natives; Robert de Hendred and Richard de Hendred, both of the 13th century.

East Hendred through time

East Hendred is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Hendred itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Hendred, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5575

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Hendred ".