Place:


Harton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harton like this:

HARTON, a township-chapelry in Jarrow parish, Durham; on the coast, 2 miles S of South Shields r. station. Post town, South Shields. Acres, 1,537; of which 144 are water. Real property, £8, 672; of which £4, 000 are in mines, and £300 in quarries. Pop., 877. Houses, 176. The name is a corruption of Heorte-dune, signifying "the hill of stags;" and, like the names Hart, Hartness, and Hartlepool, commemorates the ancient abundance of harts on the Durham sea board. ...


An extensive colliery at West Harton is 215 fathoms deep. A cavern on the coast is called the Fairies' Kettle cave. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was built in 1868.

Harton through time

Harton is now part of South Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harton, in South Tyneside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5561

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harton ".