Place:


Packington  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Packington like this:

PACKINGTON, a village and a parish in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; the parish chiefly in Leicestershire, but partly in Derbyshire. The village stands ¾ of a mile E of the boundary with Derbyshire, and 1¼ S of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station; and has a post-office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Snibston, and part of the chapelry of Coalville; and comprises 2,020 acres in Leicestershire, and 340 in Derbyshire. Real property, £24, 488; of which £18, 502 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1, 294; in 1861, 1, 190. Houses, 242. The decrease of pop. was caused by migration ofcolliers. Pop. of the Derbyshire portion, 252. Houses, 57. The manor belongs to Lady Edith Hastings. The land and collieries of Snibston belong to a colliery company. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £330.* Patron, Lady Edith Hastings. The church is early English; has, at different times, been partly rebuilt; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. A very old chapel is in Snibston; and there are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a free school, and charities £59.

Packington through time

Packington is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Packington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Packington, in North West Leicestershire and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5558

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Packington ".