Place:


Constantine  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Constantine like this:

CONSTANTINE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Falmouth district, Cornwall. The village stands on a branch of the Helford river, near the coast, 5 miles SW of Falmouth town and r. station; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Falmouth, and fairs on 12 April, 21 June, and 27 Sept. ...


The parish com. prises 7, 909 acres of land and 270 of water. Real property, £8, 517; of which £445 are in fisheries, and £199 in quarries. Pop., 2, 014. Houses, 413. The property is divided among a few. Fine-grained granite is quarried; copper and tin mines are worked; and oyster-fishing is carried on. The Tolmên, Meantol, or Holed Stone, an egg-shaped block of granite, 33 feet long and 18 feet broad, supposed by some antiquaries to be Druidical, is here on a barren hill 690 feet high. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £450.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church contains monuments of the Gerveyses; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitve Methodists. -The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 13, 006. Pop., 3, 199. Houses, 645.

Constantine through time

Constantine is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Constantine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Constantine, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5545

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Constantine ".