Place:


Henlow  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Henlow like this:

HENLOW, a village and a parish in Biggleswade district, Beds. The village stands near the river Ivel and the Hitchin and Leicester railway, 2½ miles SE of Shefford; and has a station on the railway, and a postoffice under Biggleswade. The parish comprises 2, 450 acres. Real property, £4, 781. ...


Pop., 1, 011. Houses, 190. The property is divided among a few. HenlowWarden and Lanthony manors belong to General H. Raynsford; and the De Grey manor belongs to the Conntess Cowper. Henlow Grange, the seat of Gen. Raynsford, is a fine mansion. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £265.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and has a fine tower. Charities, £8.

Henlow through time

Henlow is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Henlow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Henlow in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5528

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Henlow ".