Place:


Bampton  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bampton like this:

BAMPTON, a village and a parish in West Ward district, Westmoreland. The village stands on the river Lowther, 2 miles NNE of Haweswater, 4 NW of Shap r. station, and 9 S of Penrith; and it has a post office under Penrith. The parish extends upward to Hawes water;. and includes part of Mardale chapelry. ...


Acres, 10,390. Real property, £3,672. Pop., 541. Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. A lead mine, belonging to the Earl of Lonsdale, has been discovered. A spot not far from the village was the scene of a skirmish in the rebellion of 1745. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £101.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is good. A grammar school, founded in 1627, has an endowed income of £83; and other charities have £95. Dr. Mill, the bibli cal critic, Bishop Gibson, the editor of "Camden," and Judge Wilson, were educated at the grammar school; and Bishop Law, the friend of Paley, an l Dr. Gibson, the author of a system of anatomy, were natives.

Bampton through time

Bampton is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bampton, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5522

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bampton ".