Place:


Clewer  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clewer like this:

CLEWER, a parish in Windsor district, Berks; on the river Thames, near the Great Western railway, 1 mile W of Windsor. It has a post office, of the name of Clewer Green, under Windsor. Acres, 1, 666. Real property, £15, 929. Pop., 5, 418. Houses, 904. The property is much subdivided. Clewer Park is the seat of D. ...


Gooch, Esq.; Clewer Manor, of E. Foster, Esq.; St. Leonards, of Sir T. Brinkman, Bart.; St. Leonard's Hill, of G. Moffatt, Esq. A House of Mercy, for 75 penitents, was founded in 1849; an orphanage and an industrial school for 40 children, an infirmary for ladies and poor persons, and a convalescent hospital, built in 1867, at a cost of £12, 000, with accommodation for 57 persons, are connected with it; and all are under the direction of a superior and 16 sisters. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £460.* Patron, Eton College. The church is in the Norman style; contains a monument to the martial Earl of Harcourt; and was repaired in 1859. There are a chapel of ease, an endowed n. school, a Roman Catholic chapel, and charities £138.

Clewer through time

Clewer is now part of Windsor and Maidenhead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Windsor and Maidenhead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clewer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clewer, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5514

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clewer ".