Place:


Heswall  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heswall like this:

HESWALL, a village, a township, and a parish in Wirral district, Cheshire. The village stands on the estuary of the Dee, 2½ miles NNW of Parkgate r. station, and 7 SW of Birkenhead; commands a fine view across the estuary to the Welsh mountains; and has a postoffice under Chester.-The township bears the name of Heswall-with-Oldfield; and comprises 1, 230 acres of land, and 2, 075 of water. ...


Real property, £1, 848. Pop., 556. Houses, 105.—The parish contains also the township of Gayton. Acres, 5, 380; of which 3, 310 are water. Real property, £2, 964. Pop., 749. Houses, 136. The property is much subdivided. The manors belong to A. Davenport and W. Lloyd, Esqs. Gayton Hall belongs to the Gleggs; and it gave lodging, in 1689, to William III., on the eve of his embarking for Ireland. Heswall hill has an altitude of 475 feet above sea level. Red sandstone, for building, is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £304.* Patron, alternately A. Davenport, Esq., and R. Barker, Esq. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Gleggs.

Heswall through time

Heswall is now part of Wirral district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wirral has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heswall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heswall, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5509

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heswall ".