Place:


Amroth  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Amroth like this:

AMROTH, or Ambroth, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Narberth, Pembroke. The parish lies on Carmarthen bay, 6 miles SE of Narberth, and 6½ S by W of Whitland r. station; and has a post office under Tenby. Acres, 2,878; of which 230 are water. Real property, £2,754. Pop., 889. ...


Houses, 195. The property is divided among a few. Coal is worked, and fishing is carried on. Amroth Castle, delightfully situated on the coast, was formerly a grand feudal residence, the seat of a follower of Arnulph de Montgomery, called Eare Wear; but passed to the family of Ackland, and is now a splendid modern mansion. The living is a vicar age in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £98. Patron, J. L. P. Lewis, Esq. The church is early English, and has a curiously formed tower. Charities, £20.-The subdistrict comprises eight parishes and part of another Acres, 24,508. Pop., 3,265. Houses, 689.

Amroth through time

Amroth is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Amroth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amroth in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5508

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Amroth ".