Place:


Bradbourne  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bradbourne like this:

BRADBOURNE, a township in Ashborne district, and a parish in Ashborne and Bakewell districts, Derby. The township lies on an affluent of the river Dove, 5 miles NNE of Ashborne r. station. Real property, £2,733. Pop., 144. Houses, 28.—The parish contains also the townships of Brassington, Ballidon, and Aldwark, the hamlet of Lea-Hall, and the chapelry of Atlow; and its Post Town is Brassington, under Wirksworth. ...


Acres, 6,253. Real property, £13,699. Pop., 1,187. Houses, 248. The property is subdivided. Bradbourne Hall is a chief residence. Tissington Hall is the seat of Sir William Fitzherbert, Bart. Limestone is abundant. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Ballidon, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £119. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church has a Norman tower, and is good. The chapelries of Brassington and Atlow are separate benefices. Charities, £21.

Bradbourne through time

Bradbourne is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bradbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bradbourne in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5498

Date accessed: 22nd September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bradbourne ".