Place:


Edlesborough  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edlesborough like this:

EDDLESBOROUGH, or Edlesborough, a village and a parish in the district of Leighton-Buzzard and county of Buckingham; and a sub-district partly also in the county of Bedford. The village stands near the boundary with Bedford, and near Icknield-street, 3 miles E by N of Cheddington-Junction r. station and 5½ SSE of Leighton-Buzzard. ...


The parish contains also the hamlets of Dagnall, Horton, Hudnall, and Northall; and its post town is Ivinghoe, under Tring. Acres, 4, 579. Real property, exclusive of Horton, £7, 070. Pop., 1, 671. Houses, 369. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Valne, £569.* Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church occupies a fine site; contains some old stalls, and two curious brasses; and had a wooden spire, destroyed by lightning in 1828. There are a school-church, a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £46.—The sub-district contains two parishes in Bucks and one in Beds. Acres, 8, 069. Pop, 3, 436. Houses, 743.

Edlesborough through time

Edlesborough is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edlesborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edlesborough, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5494

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edlesborough ".