Place:


Shalfleet  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shalfleet like this:

SHALFLEET, a village and a parish in the W of the Isle of Wight. The village stands on a rivulet, 1¾ mile S of the Solent, and 3¾ E by S of Yarmouth; and has a post-office under Yarmouth, Isle of Wight. The parish extends to the coast; includes detached portions at Watchingwell and Hulverstone; and contains the hamlets of Newbridge, Brook-Green, and Ningwood-Green. ...


Acres, 6, 623; of which 400 are water. Real property, £6, 127; of which £42 are in fisheries. Pop., 1, 196. Houses, 250. S. manor belonged, at Domesday, to Gosselin Fitz-Azor; passed to the Crown and to W. Montacute, Earl of Salisbury; and was given, by that Earl, to his abbey of Bisham in Berks. Ningwood manor belonged to Baldwin, Earl of Devon; and was given by him to Christchurch-Twynham priory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £210.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly late early English; includes portions of Norman; and has a large low ancient tower, surmounted by a shingled spire of 1808. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

Shalfleet through time

Shalfleet is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shalfleet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shalfleet, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5493

Date accessed: 16th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shalfleet ".