Place:


Newnham  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newnham like this:

NEWNHAM, a parish, with a village, in Basingstoke district, Hants; on the Southwestern railway, 2 miles Wby S of Winchfield r. station, and 4½ E by N of Basingstoke. Post-town, Winchfield. Acres, 1,009. Real property, £1, 459. Pop., 367. Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to Lord Dorchester. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Maplederwell, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £400.* Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church is old and curious; was recently restored; and contains some interesting monuments. There are a national school, and charities £6.

Newnham through time

Newnham is now part of Hart district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hart has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newnham, in Hart and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5491

Date accessed: 17th August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newnham ".