Place:


Carbrooke  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carbrooke like this:

CARBROOKE, a parish in Wayland district, Norfolk; near the river Wissey, 2 miles NE of Watton, and 8 SSW of Dereham r. station. Post Town, Watton, under Thetford. Acres, 3,033. Real property, £5,296. Pop., 751. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. Carbrooke Hall is the seat of J. ...


Wing, Esq. A commandry of the Knights Templars was founded, near the church, in 1173, by Roger, Earl of Clare. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £170. Patron, R. Dewing, Esq. The church is later English and good; consists of nave, two aisles, a chancel, and two porches, with a lofty square tower; and is fitted with open benches. There are a national school, and charities £70.

Carbrooke through time

Carbrooke is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carbrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carbrooke, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5484

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carbrooke ".