Place:


Buxton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buxton like this:

BUXTON, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Aylsham district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Bure, near the line of the projected railway from Norwich to Cromar, 4 miles SSE of Aylsham, and 8 N of Norwich; has a post office under Norwich; and was a seat of petty sessions. A Roman station is supposed to have been here, and Roman urns and other Roman relics have been found. ...


The parish comprises 1,274 acres. Real property, £3,516. Pop., 640. Houses, 134. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectories of Oxnead and Skeyton, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £646.* Patron, Sir H. Stracey, Bart. The church is ancient, has a square tower, and was recently restored. There are a Baptist chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £168. The subdistrict contains twenty-three parishes. Acres, 28,024. Pop., 10,092. Houses, 2,271.

Buxton through time

Buxton is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buxton, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5483

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buxton ".