Place:


Martham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Martham like this:

MARTHAM, a village and a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk. The village stands on rising-ground above marshes, 3¼ miles from the coaSt, and 9 NW by. N of Yarmonth r. station; is a large place, with several handsome houses and some good shops; and has a post office‡ under Yarmouth, Norfolk, and a fair on the last Tuesday of July and the following day. ...


The parish comprises 2,644 acres. Real property, £7,020. Pop., 1,092. Houses, 255. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to J. F. Grove, Esq. Martham Hall is the seat of W. Rising, Esq. Theliving is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £364.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich. The church comprises nave, aisles, S porch, and lofty fine tower, in early perpendicular English; includes a chancel in florid Gothic,.rebuilt in 1855, at a cost of nearly £8,000, in memorial of the Rev. J. Dawson, and containing an altar-tomb to him; has a very fine stained glass E window by Hardman; and contains a richly-sculptured, octagonal, ancient font, and a brass of 1487. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £17 a year, and charities £40.

Martham through time

Martham is now part of Great Yarmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Great Yarmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Martham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Martham, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5475

Date accessed: 22nd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Martham ".