Place:


Filby  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Filby like this:

FILBY, a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk; near Rollesby Broad, 3 miles WNW of Caistor, and 5½ NW of Yarmouth r. station. It has a post office under Norwich. Acres, 1, 425. Real property, £3, 294. Pop., 517. Houses, 120. The property is divided. About 100 acres are in plantation, and about 160 in a fine lake, which abounds with fish and wild ducks. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £505. Patron, the Rev. Charles Lucas. The church stands in a grove; has a nave with a roof of trussed rafters, a clerestory of small quatrefoils, a lofty later English tower, and a curious turret; contains an oak rood-screen and an octagonal font; and is in very good condition. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Unitarians and a church school.

Filby through time

Filby is now part of Great Yarmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Great Yarmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Filby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Filby, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5471

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Filby ".