Place:


Egloshayle  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Egloshayle like this:

EGLOSHAYLE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Bodmin district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Camel, ¾ of a mile SE of Wadebridge, and 9 NW of Bodmin-Road r. station; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 5, 618 acres of land, and 130 of water. Post town, Wadebridge, Cornwall. ...


Real property, £6, 616. Pop., 1, 479. Houses, 303. The property is divided among a few. Pencarron has remains of a castle and an ancient camp, and belongs to the Rev. Sir Paul W. Molesworth, Bart. Park belonged to the Peverells. Ancient barrows occur at Kerry Rounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. . Value, 327.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church has a tower and a curious stone pulpit; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and United Free Methodists. Charities, £12.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 25, 674. Pop., 4, 964. Houses, 1, 072.

Egloshayle through time

Egloshayle is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Egloshayle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Egloshayle in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5445

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Egloshayle ".