Place:


Kirtling  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirtling like this:

KIRTLING, a village and a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge. The village stands near the boundary with Suffolk, 5 miles SE by S of Newmarket r. station; and has a post office under Newmarket.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Upend. Acres, 3, 016. Real property, £4, 046. Pop., 820. ...


Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. William H. J. North. Kirtling Tower is a meet for the Suffolk hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £160.* Patron, the Hon. W. H. J. North. The church is very ancient; has a fine Norman door way; was repaired in 1863; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains an effigies of the second Lord North, and other monuments of the North family. There are a Baptist chapel, a parochial school, six alms houses, and charities £6.

Kirtling through time

Kirtling is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirtling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirtling in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5443

Date accessed: 20th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirtling ".