Place:


Farlam  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farlam like this:

FARLAM, two townships and a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland. The townships are E and W Farlam; and they lie about 1¼ mile E of the Milton station of the Carlisle and Newcastle railway, and 2¾ ESE of Brampton. Acres, with Midgeholm extra-parochial tract, 5, 680. Real property, £3, 246 and £945. ...


Pop., 813 and 498. Houses, 149 and 91. The parish consists of the two townships; and its post town is Milton, under Carlisle. Coal is worked; and limestone is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £143.* Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church was built in 1861, at a cost of about £1, 600; and is in the early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Farlam through time

Farlam is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farlam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farlam, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5437

Date accessed: 18th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farlam ".