Place:


Dean  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dean like this:

DEAN, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Marron, 3½ miles SSE of Camerton r. station, and 5 SW of Cockermouth. Real property, £2, 312; of which £170 are in mines. Pop., 195. Houses, 36. The parish contains also the townships of Ullock and Branthwaite; the former of which includes the hamlet of Deanscales. ...


Post town, Lamplugh, under Cockermouth. Acres, 6, 360. Real property, £7, 204. Pop., 829. Houses, 163. Coal and building-stone occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £318.* Patron, the Rev. S. Sherwen. The church is old. A grammar school has £10 from endowment; and other charities £4.

Dean through time

Dean is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dean, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5433

Date accessed: 19th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dean ".