Place:


Leckhampstead  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leckhampstead like this:

LECKHAMPSTEAD, a parish and a sub-district in the district and county of Buckingham. The parish lies on an affluent of the river Ouse, adjacent to the Buckingham canal and to the boundary with Northamptonshire, 3¾ miles NE by N of Buckingham r. station. Post town, Buckingham. Acres, 2, 522. ...


Real property, £4, 288; of which £14 are in the canal. Pop., 482. Houses, 106. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to H. W. Beauclerk, Esq. Much of the land is under wood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £517.* Patron, H. W. Beauclerk, Esq. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, N aisle, S porch, and chancel, with W tower; and contains three sedilia, a piscina, an effigies of a knight, and a brass of 1506. There is a national school. -The sub-district contains also twelve other parishes and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 21, 474. Pop., 4, 098. Houses, 908.

Leckhampstead through time

Leckhampstead is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leckhampstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leckhampstead, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5430

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leckhampstead ".