Place:


Thetford  Norfolk

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Thetford like this:

Thetford.-- mun. bor. and market town, Norfolk and Suffolk, at the confluence of the Thet and the Little Ouse, 14 miles N. of Bury St Edmunds and 93 miles NE. of London by rail, 7296 ac., pop. 4032; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. The bor. comprises the parishes of Thetford St Cuthbert (306 ac., pop. ...


1628), Thetford St Mary (4620 ac., pop. 1222), and Thetford St Peter (2370 ac., pop. 1182), the last wholly in Norfolk. Thetford was long a very important place. It was probably a Roman station; in Saxon times it was the capital of East Anglia; and in the middle ages it abounded in religious establishments, some remains of which still exist. There are mfrs. of agricultural implements, and some other industries, chiefly connected with agricultural pursuits. Thetford was incorporated in 1573; it returned 2 members to Parl. from the time of Edward VI. until 1867-68.

Thetford through time

Thetford is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thetford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thetford, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/541

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thetford ".