Place:


Godmersham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Godmersham like this:

GODMERSHAM, a village and a parish in East Ashford district, Kent. The village stands on the river Stour, 2 miles SSW of Chilham r. station, and 6 NE by N of Ashford; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Canterbury. The parish comprises 3, 077 acres. Real property, £3, 429. ...


Pop., 388. Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. Godmersham Park, now the seat of Earl St. Vincent, belonged formerly to the Valoigns, the Astyns, and the Broadnaxes; and has richly wooded grounds. The living is a vicarage united with the p. curacy of Challock, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £234. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church belonged to the prior and monks of Canterbury; had a chantry; and, having become much dilapidated, has been entirely restored. The prior's residence was built in the time of Richard II., and still exists. There are a national school, and charities £41.

Godmersham through time

Godmersham is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Godmersham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Godmersham, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5405

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Godmersham ".