Place:


Farningham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farningham like this:

FARNINGHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Dartford district, Kent. The village stands on the river Darent, in a fine valley between ridges of chalk hills, 1½ mile S by W of a station of its own name on the Mid Kent railway, and 4½ S of Dartford; was known at Domesday as Ferninghame; was once a market town; and has now a post office† under Dartford, a hotel, a four-arched bridge across the Darent, a monthly cattle market, and a fair on 15 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 2, 708 acres. Real property, £5, 232. Pop., 944. Houses, 151. The property is divided among a few. There were formerly paper-mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is chiefly early English, with a later English tower; and has an octagonal, figured, later English font, a brass of a vicar of 1451, and four other brasses. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Roper's charity, shared also by other places, has £91; and other charities have £86.—The sub-district contains eleven parishes. Acres, 22, 465. Pop., 6, 110. Houses, 1, 102.

Farningham through time

Farningham is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farningham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farningham, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5403

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farningham ".