Place:


Darenth  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Darenth like this:

DARENTH, or Darent, a parish in Dartford district, Kent; on the river Darent, 1½ mile N of Farningham r. station, and 2¼ SSE of Dartford. It includes part of South Darenth hamlet; and its post town is Sutton-at-Hone, under Dartford. Acres, 2, 189. Real property, £4, 959. Pop., 626. ...


Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Duke Eudulf, in 940, to the Archbishops of Canterbury; and exchanged by them, in 1196, with Rochester abbey for Lambeth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £339.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is early Norman, and good; and has a very curiously figured font. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Charities, £22.

Darenth through time

Darenth is now part of Dartford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dartford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Darenth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Darenth, in Dartford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5400

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Darenth ".