Place:


Carnforth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carnforth like this:

CARNFORTH, a township in Warton parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 6 miles NNE of Lancaster. It has a r. station with telegraph, a post office‡ under Lancaster, six blast furnaces erected in 1865, and an endowed school used as a church. Acres, 1,492. Real property, £2,269. ...


Pop., 393. Houses, 82. A subterranean brook bursts up here, after having run 2 miles under ground from a limestone cavern at Dunald-mill-hole. The Furness and Ulverston railway makes its junction with the Lancaster and Carlisle at Carnforth; and the Furness and Midland, connecting the former with the Little Northwestern, and opened in 1867, goes hence to Wennington.

Carnforth through time

Carnforth is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carnforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carnforth, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/540

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carnforth ".