Place:


Llanegwad  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanegwad like this:

LLANEGWAD, a parish in Llandilo-fawr district, Carmarthen; on the river Towy, at the influx of the Cothi, near the Llanarthney station of the Carmarthen and Llandilo railway, 8 miles W by S of Llandilo-fawr. It contains the hamlets of Egwad, Hernin, LLlechfraith, Llechgron, Llethergele, Miros, Monachty, and Ystrad; and its Post town is Llandilo, under Carmarthen. ...


Acres, 12,330. Real property, £5,342. Pop., 1,920. Houses, 421. The property is subdivided. Much land was, not long ago, reclaimed and enclosed. Copper ore is found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £259. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Egwad, and is good. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £100.

Llanegwad through time

Llanegwad is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanegwad itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanegwad in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5393

Date accessed: 22nd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanegwad ".