Place:


Tyldesley  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tyldesley like this:

TYLDESLEY, a town, and a township-chapelry, in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the Manchester and Wigan railway, at the intersection of the line from Kenyon to Bolton, 2½ miles ENE of Leigh; and has a post-office‡ under Manchester, a r. station, several inns, a temperance and education hall, a church of 1825 with tower and spire, four dissenting chapels, national schools, and extensive cotton mills. ...


Pop. in 1861, 3,950. Houses, 815. The chapelry includes Shackerley hamlet, and is called T.-with-Shackerley. Acres, 2,474. Real property, £21,620; of which £5,358 are in mines, and £45 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 5,397; in 1861, 6,029. Houses, 1,254. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180.* Patron, Lord Lilford.

Tyldesley through time

Tyldesley is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tyldesley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tyldesley, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/539

Date accessed: 19th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tyldesley ".