Place:


Soulby  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Soulby like this:

SOULBY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Kirkby-Stephen parish, Westmoreland; on the river Eden, 2½ miles NW of Kirkby-Stephen r. station. Post town, Brough, under Penrith. Acres, 2,495. Rated property, £1,921. Pop., 453. Houses, 77. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £118. Patron, Sir G. Musgrave, Bart. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and charities £5.

Soulby through time

Soulby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Soulby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Soulby, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5376

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Soulby ".